While you work out you will like to take precautionary measures to avoid getting injured or involved in exercises that are dangerous for you.
This content is about 10 dangerous exercises. Read till the end to know them all and learn to avoid them or better ways you can carry them out for your safety.
10 dangerous exercises
Here are 10 dangerous exercises you need to know about
- Kettlebell swings: Though a Kettlebell is not on its own dangerous, it is a useful tool that can be used for different exercises. Kettlebell is one of the more fitting exercise tools that build your total body strength. Though kettlebell workouts can be harmful in some cases.
The best way to make use of kettlebells is to Seek advice from someone who knows how to use them so you can use them effectively without making them harmful to yourself.
Check out some other exercises you can do in place of kettlebell swings for people starting out with it: Broad Jumps, Cable Pull Throughs, Barbell Hip Thrusts, and Sumo Deadlifts.
- Leg extension: The leg extension machine is used for leg extension which is a strength training workout that works on your quadriceps (found in the front of the upper legs).
While carrying out the leg extension workout, you use the leg extension machine on which you sit with a weighted pad on top of your lower legs. You then use your quads to repeatedly lift your lower legs and extend your knees.
Though the leg extensions may not be as harmful as some people tag them to be, if you notice that leg extension is causing knee pains for you, it is best you adjust your training by possibly replacing it with another alternative exercise that will be fit for you.
If you feel a sharp pain when carrying out the exercise, stop immediately.
For your knee to be stable make sure you add hamstring curls or other hamstring-strengthening exercises in your fitness routine when using the leg extension machine so your knee stability will not be compromised.
Here are alternatives workout for leg extensions that are better: Lunges, Squats, Deadlifts, and Step-ups.
- Behind the head shoulder press: this workout is for strength building though it is seen as risky especially if you frequently engage in it or do it wrongly. Because of the risks involved, it is advisable you do it while being guided by a trainer.
Before carrying it out make sure you have adequate trunk, shoulder, and thoracic (upper) spine stability and mobility.
Here is a more secure exercise substitute for behind-the-neck presses: Overhead Shoulder Press.
- Triceps dips on a bench: When dips are done on a dip rack, they are great exercises for your building of strong, powerful, and massive triceps. If not done rightly on the bench, it can be dangerous.
When you carry out bench triceps dips, it removes the pectorals are removed from the workout and this means burdening your shoulders with most of your body weight as you press yourself up and down.
Physical therapists believe that the slightest mistake in your form can increase the risk of impingement syndrome which is inflammation of the bursa or rotator cuff tendinitis.
Here are more secure substitutes for triceps dips alternatives: Diamond Push-Ups, Close-Grip Bench Presses, and Cable Pushdowns.
- Upright barbell row: When you carry out the upright row workout to build the shoulders and traps, you might be causing gradual damage without realization of this.
The workout involves holding dumbbells or a barbell in front of you with a close pronated or overhand grip. You then pull the weight up to your chest while you keep it close to your body, leading with your elbows.
Here are more secure substitutes for building your shoulders: Lateral Raises and shoulder press variations.
- Lat pulldowns behind the head: Lat pulldowns behind the head is a workout that you will need to avoid getting involved in if you have shoulder issues. They are good for the latissimus dorsi. The disadvantages are more than the advantages.
Here are more secure substitutes for Behind the neck Lat pulldowns: Front-of-the-neck Lat pulldowns, and kneeling band pulldowns.
- Leg press: The workout works on the quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calf muscles, as well as the bones of the hips, thighs, lower legs, and hip flexors.
When you use the Leg Press machine, it results in increased pressure as well as the load on your knees, lower back, and pelvic floor.
Excess weight can force the pelvic floor tissues and muscles downward, making them weak by over-stretching which can result in rectal prolapse, pelvic organ prolapses, and bowel or bladder control problems.
You can get involved in any of these more secure substitutes for Leg Press machine workouts: Squat variations, step-ups, walking lunges, wall sits, and broad jumps.
- Smith machine squats: The machine builds your quads during your workout with it. It also allows you to alter squat biomechanics which can benefit you as well as be harmful to you too.
Check out the most secure substitute for Smith Machine squats: Dumbbell squats, free weight squats, and front squats.
- Good morning exercise: The workout involves putting a barbell on your upper back, similar to a squat. You then stand with straight legs, hinge forward at the hips until your upper body is just above parallel, and then return to the upright standing position, repeat these movements many times.
Here are more secure substitutes for Good Morning exercises: Basic unweighted good mornings, with zero weight and your hands behind your head or crossed over the chest, are great for mobility, and carry a lower risk of injury.
- Bench press: The workout that works on multiple muscle groups. It can be harmful when it is not done rightly or with necessary care.
It is the most dangerous of all barbell lifts and can cause death. If the loaded bar slips from your hands during the lift, it can fall on your face, chest, or throat, ending your life in the blink of an eye.
Check out this more secure substitute for the barbell bench press: The Dumbbell bench press.
While you work out to reach your fitness goals ensure you avoid these dangerous exercises if you can’t carry them out rightly to avoid getting injured in the process of trying to workout.
If you must carry out some of them, do it under the guidance of an expert who will direct you on how best to do it.