Before we discuss the different exercises you can do at home for weight loss, let’s know a little about exercise and why it is important for weight loss.
Exercise as you know involves engaging in physical activity and increasing the heart rate beyond resting levels. It is an essential part of preserving physical and mental health.
You can also say exercise is a body activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health and wellness.
Reasons for exercises
Exercises are done for the following reasons
- To aid growth and improve strength
- Develop muscles and the cardiovascular system
- Hone athletic skills
- Weight loss or maintenance
- Improve health
- For enjoyment
Many individuals choose to exercise outdoors where they meet in groups, socialize, and improve well-being as well as mental health.
Exercising every day is important for prevention of diseases and other health issues.
Exercise at home to lose weight
If you want to lose weight, it is a good idea for you to focus on burning body fat. Burning fat leads to weight loss because you will have less fat stuck to your body and this will in turn keep you healthy.
There are many health benefits you will get when you lose belly fat like reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and even cancer.
Losing weight especially belly fat also enhances blood vessel functioning.
Before you start a weight loss exercise procedure, it is essential you understand the reason behind your weight gain first.
Once you understand the reason you are gaining weight, you will know which type of weight loss exercise that will work effectively for you.
Some common causes of weight gain
- Improper lifestyle
- Bad eating behavior
- Metabolism slowing down with age
- Being less physically active
- Hormones and genetics
- Underlying medical conditions
- Use of certain medications
If you understand the reason for your weight gain, you can start weight loss exercises at home to help work on your weight.
Though these weight loss exercises at home can be done by anyone, some conditions make weight loss exercise and working out harmful.
If you have any of the below conditions, consult a doctor before engaging in any of these exercises.
- A spine injury
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Strained muscles and ligaments.
- Any other medical condition.
Weight loss exercises help you burn more calories than you consume.
Here are some weight loss exercises you can do at home
- Aerobic Exercises
Walking is one of the best weight loss exercises. Walking at a fast pace is a great exercise for burning calories. An exercise program that puts minimal stress on your joints and can be part of your day-to-day activities. Try walking around your street for a month and see how effective that will be.
Jogging and Running are considered to be the king of weight loss exercises. They are total body integrated exercises. It will strengthen your legs and also effective for belly fat.
How to carry out your aerobic exercise
- Set aside 1 hour of your time and include these exercises in your routine.
- Start with walking exercise for 15 minutes.
- Increase your pace and start Jogging for the next 15 minutes.
- With a constant increase in pace, run for another 15 minutes.
- Reduce your pace and come back to jogging for 10 minutes.
- Relax your body and slow down your pace and walk for 5 minutes.
- Bent Knee Lying Twist
This exercise will help you reduce belly fat and tone up your abs.
Lying Bent Knee twist is a beginner-friendly bodyweight exercise that builds muscle and strength in the obliques.
The lying bent-knee oblique twist is an isolation exercise you can do the weighted version of the exercise with a ball in between your legs.
How To carry out Bent knee lying twist
- Lie on back on the floor or mat with arms extended out to the sides to keep your body stable during the exercise.
- Raise bent legs, bend your legs at a 90-degree angle, so thighs are vertical and lower legs are horizontal.
- Keeping your shoulders in contact with the floor, slowly lower your legs to one side until you feel a mild stretch in your lower back.
- Now, rotate your legs all the way to the right. Repeat for the desired number of reps.
- Incline Push Up
Push-up exercises are good as it burns calories quickly and makes you focus on the larger muscles in your upper body. Push-up workout also focuses on your chest, shoulders, back, biceps, and triceps.
Push-up exercise will also strengthen your core muscles and make your body physically stable and healthy.
How to carry out Incline Push up
- Stand approximately 3 to 3.5 feet away from a low bench or sturdy chair. Reach forward and grab the sides of the chair or in front of the bench, keeping the balls of your feet in contact with the ground.
- Slowly lower yourself by flexing your elbows so that your chest comes within a few inches of the edge of the chair or bench.
- Using your hands, push yourself back to starting position while focusing on maintaining a straight body position from head to ankle.
- The movement should be smooth and controlled.
Crunch is one of the all-time favorite Abs exercises that you can do at home. The crunch motion occurs in the upper spine, and your shoulders rise a few inches off the floor.
Your lower back remains in contact with the floor, and there is no motion at the hips. This is in contrast to the sit-up, where the movement occurs at the waist and hips.
How to carry out Crunches
- Lie on the floor with your knees bent, feet and low back are flat on the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head, contract through your abs to lift your shoulders and upper back off the floor.
- Hold this position for a second before slowly lowering back to the starting position, making the negative portion of the rep as slow and deliberate as the positive portion.
- Repeat the desired number of reps.
- Wall Squat
Wall squats help you burn calories and stop fat from building up in your lower body. This exercise helps to reduce weight and improve balance and mobility.
A beginner should aim for 3 sets of 12-15 reps to get better results.
Shaping and strengthening your lower body is needed to torch calories for weight loss.
How to carry out wall squat
- Place your back against a wall and make sure that your feet are at least 12 inches away from the wall.
- Bend your knees and drop into a squat position.
- Keep your back against the wall while you’re doing all this.
- Stop when your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Hold for a few seconds, then return to the original position.
- Skipping exercise
Skipping exercise offers a complete body workout and helps increase your muscle strength, metabolism, and burn many calories in a short time.
Skipping exercise done regularly will bring in calmness and help to ease depression and anxiety. The workout also increases your heart rate which results in faster pumping of blood across your body to keep your heart in a better and healthy condition. Along with your heart, this exercise takes care of your lungs by keeping them functioning and healthy.
Everybody has a distinctive body which makes the process obtain different results. Losing weight is nothing but burning more calories than your intake and skipping will surely help you do that. This form of exercise approximately burns calories close to 1300 per hour.
Exercise is an essential component of weight loss. You must follow a workout routine that is planned according to your goals and requirements.
How to carry out skipping exercise
- On a flat surface, stand with your back straight.
- Make sure your feet are together and pointing straight.
- Keep your hand straight pointing downwards close to your thighs.
- Jump off the ground and let your rope pass under your feet and bring it back.
- Repeat these steps and increase your jumping speed constantly.
Pull-ups focus on several muscle groups that burn more calories as multiple muscles like biceps, triceps, back and core are working together. This workout can aid you to get in shape, increasing your ability to burn fat and boosting your metabolism. To complete a pull-up, takes nearly 15 muscles and the primary muscles are your lats and biceps.
According to the study, doing a pull-up workout will help you burn nearly 10 calories per minute. It is recommended that at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity workout have to be done each week as cardio is one of the best ways to burn calories.
How to carry out pull ups
- Grip the pull-up bar with your arms fully stretched by standing straight.
- Bend your knees and pull yourself until your chin clears the bar.
- Come back to your original position slowly.
- Repeat these steps for 15 reps and 4 sets.
Yoga, a 5000-year-old transcription has proved to be an effective weight loss therapy. It is believed to be developed by Rishis and Brahmans and has 5 basic principles: Exercise, Diet, Breathing, Relaxation, and Meditation.
The combination of Yoga and healthy eating has proven beneficial as it helps to lose weight along with keeping your body and mind healthy.
Benefits of Yoga
- Weight loss
- Improved Cardio Health
- Increased Muscle tone
- Balanced Metabolism
- Improved Respiration
- Increased Flexibility
- Stress Management
Yoga Poses are part of weight reduction. Yoga poses focus mostly on improving concentration and building your muscle tone. Your body should get used to these poses to yield maximum benefits from yoga.
Some of the yoga poses for weight loss are:
- Warrior Pose
- Triangle Pose
- Shoulder Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Bow Pose
- Plank Pose
- Downward Dog Pose
- Sun Salutation
Conclusion on the Home Exercises for Weight Loss
You can lose weight fast at home with the different workouts outlined here, which are easy to do. But if you have any health issues try to talk to your doctor about these exercises before getting involved with any of them so they don’t affect you negatively.
Remember it will take a good workout routine and a proper diet plan to lose weight. So, start your fitness journey with a healthy meal plan and a workout routine that includes the exercises mentioned above.
Don’t do one-off with these exercises, it is only consistency with them that will give you the required result, so while you go about them make sure you are consistent.